Kapenta / Matemba / Ndakala Sauce
Preparation time: 8 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Meal type: Main dish/Side dish
Country/Region: Zambia, Zimbabwe
- 2 cups dried kapenta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 cooking spoon of oil for frying (more or less may be added according to preference)
- Maggi or Knorr cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tb spoon vinegar (optional ingredient)
- Chilli (optional ingredient)
- Soak kapenta in cold water for about 5 minutes. Then drain and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- In a saucepan, heat oil in a pan, fry kapenta for 5 to 10 minutes till it’s properly cooked. (add optional ingredient of vinegar while frying the kapenta).
- Add chopped onion and tomato, stir fry for about 3 minutes. (This may also be stir fried separately and then added to the fired kapenta).
- Add curry, salt, maggi or knorr cubes and chilli. Cover saucepan and let it simmer for 4 minutes.
- Serve as main or side dish.
*** The recipe and directions are mere guides on how to prepare the dish. Ingredients and outcome may differ according to preference or preparation.
Photo and recipe credit: https://zambiankitchen.com/kapenta-recipe/