No products in the cart.
Garden Egg / Aubergine Stew
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 27 minutes
Total time: 37 minutes
Meal type: Main dish/Side dish
Country/Region: Ghana, Nigeria
- 8 garden eggs
- 5 large tomatoes / 2 large bell pepper or / can of tomato puree
- 2 large white onions
- 1 tablespoon of pepper powder
- 1 habanero pepper (can be increased as preferred)
- 200g of steamed fish (Tilapia fish goes very well with this dish)
- 50g dried catfish
- 1 cup of crayfish or dried shrimp
- 1 cup of palm oil
- Maggi and Salt (to taste)
- 200g of Tilapia fish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of curry (optional)
- 1 (grated) small ginger (optional)
- Boil the garden eggs for 8-10 minutes, then remove the skin and seeds.
- Chop the garden eggs and place in a bowl.
- Heat palm oil in a sauce pan for about 2 minutes, add 1 diced onion and fry till translucent.
- Add pepper powder and nutmeg to frying onion. Then add crayfish (or dried shrimp) to the frying onions and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend tomatoes (or bell pepper or tomato puree), habanero pepper and another onion, then add. Let sauce simmer for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Add stock from steamed fish.
- Add the dry catfish and chopped garden eggs to the sauce and mix in well.
- Let the stew simmer for another 5-10 minutes on low heat. (Cook for longer according to preference)
- Serve with boiled rice, yam or with any side of choice.
*** The recipe and directions are mere guides on how to prepare the dish. Ingredients and outcome may differ according to preference or preparation
Photo credit: http://mywekutastes.com/recipe/ghanas-garden-egg-stew/